Critique: Grimm

Since I have nothing to do with my life, I've decided to try and get into the critic business. T.V. and film critic business to be exact.

I've been watching a lot of T.V. for the last month, and a few movies. So, now I can critique Grimm, Bones, the new Batman movie, the new Spiderman movie... and others.

So, lets start with Grimm. When I first saw previews for Grimm I had no desire to watch it because it looked really gory and gross. However, the entire first season is up on Cox On Demand, so I started watching it when I had nothing else to do, and I inevitable got caught up in it.


The basic premise of Grimm, if you're not aware, is that Portland, OR police detective Nick Burkhardt starts seeing strange things: people's faces change into weird creatures. He discovers that he is a Grimm, much like the brothers of old he has a gift, or curse, to be able to see certain people for what they really are, the creatures from the storybooks. It is his job to stop them from their evil designs. The basic set up of every episode is that there is some sort of investigation that he and his partner Hank have to solve, usually involving some creature, and he has to sift through his newly acquired Grimm information to figure out how to stop them. He gets help from a guy named Monroe, who is some type of wolf creature called a Blutbad. Monroe is reformed and doesn't attack humans, and he has a lot of knowledge of the types of creatures Nick encounters. There is of course also an overarching storyline of bad creatures that want to kill Grimms and Nick discovering information about his past and his family.


I think overall the T.V. show could probably be better. The overarching storyline is interesting and it seems to be pretty involved. We are talking about family lines and feuds dating back hundreds and thousands of years after all, but the acting can be weak at parts, and sometimes the story will drag out a plot line for a while and then make a huge leap to a big reveal that I feel they could have developed more neatly. Its the main character Nick, and his knowledgeable friend Monroe who make the show for me.

Oftentimes it is the secondary characters that make a show strong. The main actor needs to be good, but what would Gilmore Girls be without Kirk, Paris, and Mrs. Kim? A terrible show probably. It is normally all the other characters that really pull me in and make me love the show. Not so with Grimm. David Giuntoli, who plays Nick Burkhardt is the greatest part of the show. When I first started watching the show I didn't really love him for the part, but as the show went on he really grew on me. Grimms in general are supposed to pretty much kill any creature they see, and everyone that Nick meets that finds out he is a Grimm (at least one every episode) is terrified that he is going to chop their head off. Nick isn't that kind of guy though. He tries to do his job as a detective, and if the creatures are leading good lives, then its a live and let live situation for him. He is a genuinely good guy, who also seems to handle the information of his role in life pretty well, he seems to just accept that he can't change what is happening, so he might as well use it to be a better police officer and solve more crimes. David Giuntoli has the perfect look and creates the perfect personality for this role.

I looked up his acting history on IMDB (my lifeline) and this is basically his first big role, but I really like this guy. Like I said, he really makes this show. You are definitely watching it for him. His partner Hank is played by Russell Hornsby, who does a decent job. Silas Weir Mitchell is excellent as Monroe and Sasha Roiz is perfect for the role of Captain Renard, but it is really Giuntoli's performance that brings you back. I don't love Bitsie Tulloch in the role of Nick's girlfriend Juliette, and Bree Turner as Rosalee Calvert is not my favorite either. They are both fairly important characters, so if you watch it and they bother you as well, just know they'll be sticking around for a while, and weigh how much that matters to you.

I'd probably give the show 3 out of 5 stars, I don't know how long it'll last, but it could probably go another few seasons, and given the state of NBC's programming, it is one of the better shows on their channel. Mostly, I look forward to seeing David Giuntoli's career take off, right now I might need to rewatch the episode of Veronica Mars that he was in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give it Up

Green is the Color that Everyone Sees all Around Me

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALICIA!!