Conjunction Junction, What's Your Function?

And, but, and or, they can significantly change your life.

For example, "I have a severe allergy/sinus problem, or terrible back pain, or severe stomach cramps" is significantly different from, "I have a severe allergy/sinus problem, and terrible back pain, and severe stomach cramps." Unfortunately, I currently fall into the latter category.

Being physically miserable like this always makes me wish I were home, where my mommy and daddy could take care of me, and then I think about how sometimes I don't like being an adult.

I can remember the last time I was home in Arizona and sick with some sort of stomach virus. It was during the school year because my mom was working, so I was either a senior in high school, or it was the summer after my freshman year at BYU, and I had recently returned home. My dad set me up on the couch in the living room, because I can't sleep or get comfortable in a bed when I'm sick for some reason, and he left me to my own devices while he watched television in the other room or got ready for work. It was when he was still working the swing shift. I recall him coming into the living room before he left and feeling my forehead and telling me quietly that he was leaving for work. He probably brought me a glass of water and some drugs, and told me mom would be home in a few hours. The next thing I remember is my mom walking into the living room and asking me how I was feeling, and feeling my forehead. I probably asked her for a glass of water and some drugs.

Those were the days. When I didn't have to feel guilty about not doing anything. When I didn't have to drag myself to class and financial aid exit counseling sessions. When I didn't have to drive myself to the next town to buy drugs and heat patches.

My first year of law school I contracted the flu and I had to drive myself home and make my own chicken noodle soup before falling asleep; I had to email my professors and tell them I'd be missing class. My friend Kathy's mom said I could stay with them and she would take care of me. The offer was kind, and she is a good mom, but that would have meant driving myself to another town, and anyway, it sort of sounded like a sleepover to me, and I've always hated sleepovers. I can't fall asleep in someone else's house. I hope I can allow my children to go to one sleepover in their life, they will realize they hate it, and never want to sleepover at anyone's house ever again. Of course, I never wanted to either, but sometimes you have to do those things if you want any kind of social life in your youth. Anyway, I stayed in my apartment by myself and thought about how I just wished my own mom was there to take care of me. If only I had applied to a law school in Arizona, maybe she could have been.

Sometimes, I really don't like the idea that I am an adult, even if it is only a partial adult who will soon be moving home to live with her parent's again. Living alone is lame, especially now that I don't have any friends here.

Sorry this post is negative, I don't feel good.

"In the mornings when I'm usually wide awake, I love to take a walk through the gardens and down by the lake where I often see a duck and a drake, and I wonder as I walk by just what they'd say if they could speak, although I know that's an absurd thought."

Comments

Brian & Kyla said…
Hope you feel better soon!

P.S. I don't like being an adult either sometimes.
Anonymous said…
I don't like being an adult sometimes either. I can still remember what it was like to have my mom take care of me when I was sick. Unfortunately for you she was probably much better at it than I have ever been. I don't recall her ever telling me to stop throwing up on her new couch. I hope you feel better soon. I love you and here is my hand on your forhead. Feel that? Love Mom
Ande said…
Being sick alone is the worst. I hope you feel better soon.

And because there are few bright sides to being completely alone when you're sick...I'll just add to your misery and tell you that a husband isn't much better. They don't really get how to take care of you. So...unfortunately I think the good days of being sick are long gone.

I was sick last week and my sister was also sick and she texted in the middle of the day and said, "Don't you wish you were home so Mom could take care of you while you watched Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street?" Yes. Yes I did. Instead I watched Downton Abbey. That made it more bearable. I also read Harry Potter. That helped too.

Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Give it Up

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALICIA!!

Green is the Color that Everyone Sees all Around Me