How to Win Friends and Influence People

Whilst driving across the country, my mom and I took a slight detour to visit my dear friend Deborah and her cute little family. Deborah and I grew up together in Phoenix, and we both went to BYU, and we both headed east during the summer of 2009. Deborah and her husband Sam and their first daughter Abby moved to Philadelphia where Sam has been attending dental school. That was the last time I was able to see Deborah in person, so it was really great to see her and catch up, and meet baby number two, cute little Clara.

Visiting was wonderful, and dinner was delicious but I had an important task before me when we arrived, to make Abby feel comfortable enough to talk to me. I knew it would be difficult, Abby has always been a little more withdrawn around other people, so despite the fact that Deborah has written numerous posts about the things Abby says during the day, I wondered if I would be equal to the task.

Shortly after arriving and getting nothing but stares from her, I discovered that Abby likes to color. Seeing my in, I asked her if I could color with her. Sam told me I shouldn't ask, and should just do it, and Abby did not give me an answer, so I sat and colored. I drew a flower for Abby, but she seemed unimpressed. At any rate it did not elicit language. Since a flower is the height of my artistic ability I felt at a loss as to what to draw next. I decided to pull out the big guns. I told Abby I wanted to draw her a potato person. The stare became curious. I told her that when I was her age (2 1/2) all I drew was potato people. Small smile. Allowed me to use a Reese's crayon, which I considered to be a high honor. Then I drew her something substantially similar to this:

(c)  2011 Lindsey Reynolds. Do not use without permission.
Let me tell you, the potato person is a powerful tool. It elicited laughter, and then the words began to trickle out, until she and I were the best of friends when we left. Thanks Abby for letting me color with you! Thanks Deborah and Sam for letting us come visit and for making those delicious chicken tacos, and thanks Clara for smiling at me! It was so great to see all of you!

Comments

trentathon said…
There are so many things I love about this post. I love the "substantially similar" language. I love the drawing of course. And I love that you put the world on notice that your image is copyrighted.
Ruth said…
I love it

Popular posts from this blog

Give it Up

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALICIA!!

Home... Where my Thoughts Escape Me