Baker Baker, Cookie Maker

Okay, first of all, my internet is being a piece of junk. Just have to get that out there. So, this week, at work we had a potluck lunch for all of the VISTAs. We do these every so often so all of us VISTAs can talk about what we're doing and what we might need help with. Everyone brings food and we eat. Well, I was a little concerned about what I would bring, as funds are low, and I have little to no food in my apartment. I had one very ripe banana, and so I thought I'd make oatmeal raisin cookies, sans raisins, since I don't have any, and substitute the banana for half of the butter. I know people don't usually use bananas in that fashion because, unlike applesauce, bananas have a very distinct flavor in their food. Nonetheless, I thought I'd give it a go.

Well, as I started the baking, I realized that I also had no eggs, and no brown sugar... I persevered however. I substituted a little oil for the eggs, although I couldn't quite remember the oil to egg
ratio, so I think it was a little less. I added a little more white sugar than the recipe called for, and threw in some honey as well.

Then, as I added the flour I discovered, lo and behold, I only had half a cup, so I borrowed a cup of flour from my roommate. The oatmeal raisin cookie recipe on the Quaker oatmeal box calls for three cups of oats, but I only had about two and a quarter cup left in the canister. Although, I
think this really turned out for the best (lets remember the oatmeal pumpkin cookie fiasco of 2005. Remember, there is inherent danger in just googling recipes to use that last half a can of pumpkin...) Then I threw em in the oven for 10 minutes, and waited nervously to taste one to see if they were edible. (This was really my only solution, as Kristin wasn't there for me to force her to eat one out of guilt.) I deemed them edible and took them to the potluck.

I warned a few people that the recipe had been a major experiment on my part, so if they hated them it was okay.
They.Were. A. Hit. I was pretty pleased, I'm not gonna lie.

Okay, so here is a thought I've been having. Some people have thematic blogs, and sometimes those themes are food related. I often find myself in the predicament of needing to make something and not having the necessary "normal" ingredients. Mix that with a girl who was the pickiest eater ever as a child and only recently decided she actually had to try food before she decided she didn't like it, and you've got me. Food Experimenter Extraordinaire.

How would you feel if every now and again I posted recipes I created, recipes that test my skills and endurance as a "Chef" (ha.) Would that be of interest to people? Let me know. I want this blog to be about me (cause I'm self absorbed... aren't all bloggers, a little?) but I want it to be interesting so people will read it.

Comments

Ande said…
Please yes!

Not only am I so wishing I was as creative a cookie builder as you, I am wishing I was eating one of them! I most definitely want to try making them!
Ande said…
Should I add a few more exclamation marks to get my point across?
Unknown said…
:) Ande they're really so easy to make, half of the excitement comes from realizing you're out of something after you have already started mixing ingredients. Although I would recommend a little brown sugar, or maybe more honey... like a 1/4 c. would have made a difference I feel. I did add another 1/2 c. white sugar and about a 1/4 c. honey to make up for my lack of brown sugarness.
Just follow the Quaker Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin cookie recipe w/ these changes and you'll have one of your very own. Oh, I added 2TBS. oil since I had no eggs, and I couldn't find my cinnamon, so I used pumpkin pie spice.
Docface said…
They look delicious! Bananas make everything taste good, (sometimes.) The only thing better is bacon.

Popular posts from this blog

Give it Up

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALICIA!!

Home... Where my Thoughts Escape Me